Internship opportunities are available in Congressman Larson's Washington D.C. and Hartford offices.
Washington D.C. Office
Interns in Congressman Larson's Washington D.C. office will learn and gain vital professional skills while enhancing their knowledge of the legislative process. Roles and responsibilities in the office for a prospective intern includes but not limited to:
- Assisting in legislative research for the Congressman, staff and constituents
- Helping with data entry of constituent letters
- Attending briefings for staff members and write a summary memo to the appropriate staffer and the Congressman regarding the briefing
- Assisting in answering constituent mail, which includes research and letter writing
- Helping process Flag and Tour Requests
Interns are strongly encouraged to pursue their interests and to take advantage of the many seminars and unique opportunities that present themselves during their stay in Washington. Former interns have attended Head of State receptions, press conferences, and have met with NASA astronauts, members of both the House and Senate and the First Lady.
If you are interested in an internship, please send a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample along with your expected start and end date to Congressman Larson's Washington D.C. office by fax at 202-225-1031.
Hartford District Office
Internship applicants in Congressman Larson's Hartford District must be outgoing, responsible and have the ability to assist Congressional staffers with a variety of tasks including:
- Assisting District Office staff with constituent casework
- Research Legislative and District related issues
- Assisting in writing letters to constituents and to federal, State, and Municipal government agencies
- Assisting staff in district events planning and implementation
The Hartford District office accepts interns for the fall and spring semesters, as well as for the summer. Priority will be given to college students who are majoring in areas related to government and communications. All applicants must be currently enrolled in high school or college for consideration.
Applicants will be considered for both credit and non-credit participation. Hours are flexible according to your course schedule and applicants must have their own transportation to Hartford. Qualified applicants will be asked to interview at the Hartford District Office as part of the application process.
Please forward your resume and a brief writing sample (1-3 pages) to Amanda Schoen at 221 Main Street, 2nd floor, Hartford, CT 06106. If you have any questions, please call Congressman Larson's District Office at (860) 278-8888.